Public Relations - The American Lung Association in California is looking for a dynamic intern to assist us in communicating our events and activities to the largest possible audience. The intern will have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the non-profit sector, specifically with the communications and marketing department. The mission of the American Lung Association in California is to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung diseases such as asthma, lung cancer, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. They also help people quit smoking and push for clean air and clean energy policies to improve the quality of air we breathe. Requirements: Must have excellent writing skills, background in Advertising, Marketing and Journalism; knowledge in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop is helpful but not required, general computer knowledge, good organizational skills and attention to detail, enthusiastic and eager to learn. Tasks include: Writing and distributing press releases and media alerts to print, broadcast, and online media outlets, research and create targeted media lists to be used in pitching, conduct media outreach for events and other activities, assist in managing/monitoring social media presence (Facebook and Twitter) and perform other duties as assigned. For more information, please contact Vanessa Petersen, Senior Development Manager, at Vanessa.Peterson@lung.org or visit http://www.lung.org/associations/states/colorado/volunteer/internship-program.html
Public Relations - Wolfson Entertainment, Inc. is offering an internship for the fall semester. They are a full-service management agency that works with notable touring musicians and TV shows. The position will be extremely hands-on with duties including but not limited to pitch writing, media outreach, artist management, and possibly some on-site work as well. This is an unpaid internship located at 22201 Ventura Blvd., Suite 207, Woodland Hills, CA 91364. For more information, please contact/submit resume to Dillon Barbosa at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Editorial / Journalism - Signal Multimedia is looking for editorial interns for news, special sections and video reporting for the Fall 2013 semester. With a daily paper, news website, special publications and in-house, green-screen studio, Signal Multimedia interns have the opportunity to report and earn bylines in multiple forms of media. In the past, successful interns have published multiple front-page bylines and video bylines. They have covered on-scene breaking news stories, court cases and city/county events. Creative feature opportunities are available in the daily paper and special niche publications. They expect responsible, reliable, sharp and hungry journalists. Their staff can help guide you through the rest. By joining their editorial team, interns can carve out a valuable role in our newsroom. The internship is unpaid and you must be able to earn college credit for the internship; start and end dates are flexible.
Requirements for editorial intern:
- Deliver clean copy that accurately and succinctly tells the desired story
- Strong organizational and communication skills with attention to detail
- Able to manage tasks without constant supervision
- Knowledge of MS Office applications, especially Word
- Journalism, media or communication arts major is a plus
- Basic copyediting skills and knowledge of AP style is a plus
- Be able to work at least 15 hours per week
Responsibilities for editorial intern:
- Assist the City Desk with daily operations, including: Web posting, press releases, pitching stories, writing news and feature stories for print and online
- Writing, researching or editing special projects, as needed
- Opportunities to shoot video are available to those interested; based on merit, videos will be included in daily Web show
About Signal Multimedia: Founded in 1919 as a community newspaper serving the Santa Clarita Valley, Signal Multimedia is a thriving multimedia corporation offering community journalism to some 280,000 residents. Signal products include: a daily local newspaper, the go-to website for local news, monthly and periodic topical magazines and a daily, magazine-style Web show.
Contact: Kirsten Quinn, 661-287-5593, email@example.com or Luke Money, 661-287-5525, Lmoney@signalscv.com.
Sports Journalism - isportsweb.com (1795 Cedar St. Suite B, Holt, MI, 48842) is looking for sports writing interns for fall 2013. Unpaid interns at isportsweb.com will be assigned to cover a sports beat for a professional team they have interest in. As that team’s correspondent, interns are expected to generate multiple stories per week about that team. These stories can and should be opinionated, and we give our writers freedom to pick topics they find relevant to their particular team. With Questions, or to apply, email Joe White at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Productivity PR - Are you considering a career in public relations or marketing communications and looking for practical experience or ways to apply your coursework in the real world? Based in Woodland Hills, Productivity PR's internship program offers college students, and recent graduates, the opportunity to learn and develop the skills necessary for a successful career in the public relations field. As an intern, you will have the opportunity to gain practical hands-on experience researching and building media lists, learning to comfortably and proactively pitch reporters, coordinating editorial coverage results, writing press releases and editorial pitch letters, social media for marketing consumer products, brainstorming, planning, etc. Intern candidates must have good communication/people skills, strong writing skills, be comfortable speaking on the phone, creativity and have a genuine interest in public relations. Recent graduates (with a degree in PR, communications or marketing) or current students studying PR, journalism, marketing communications, or communications are preferred. This is a great opportunity to gain hands-on public relations experience in a friendly and energetic atmosphere. Roughly 15 - 20 hours a week. Only local candidates please. This is an unpaid internship for course credit and valuable experience. Please e-mail your resume and cover letter to email@example.com or fax to (818) 223-9197.
Journalism - C-Suite Media/CSQ Magazine (21700 Oxnard St. Suite 700 Woodland Hills, CA 91367) is offering an unpaid Journalism/Publishing/Media internship. C-Suite Quarterly is an executive leadership and lifestyle publication that covers the Ventura/LA County region. This internship offers the opportunity to demonstrate and further develop skills related to researching, interviewing, and writing copy to support the print magazine and online content. Other skills such as graphic design and broadcast journalism experience are also welcomed. The office environment is fast-paced, stimulating, and professional. Contact Jason Dean at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 818-225-8168.
Journalism/ Public Relations - LUCK Media & Marketing is a small but busy full-service boutique entertainment publicity and marketing firm located in West Hollywood, seeking interns looking for a hands-on learning experience for qualified and dedicated candidates. This internship is only for students who currently live in Los Angeles or nearby cities. The position is unpaid, but has potential to become a paid position for the right candidate! Students eligible to receive college credit are preferred. Please email a cover letter, resume and 1-2 writing samples (press releases, public service announcements, articles, etc.) to email@example.com for consideration.
- Media database management
- Coordinate interviews and story opportunities
- Planning and assisting at special events
- Research projects
- Drafting press releases
- Participation in publicity planning and strategy sessions
- Preparation, organization and distribution of press clippings and other press materials
- Updating company website and social media accounts
- Assisting clients with social media
- Send out Fed Ex packages / post office delivery + pick up when needed
- Answering phones
- Learn and enjoy what you’re doing!
1. Current college student in communications, journalism, public relations, or related fields
2. A minimum of a 3.0 GPA (from a college / university)
3. A minimum commitment of 15-20 hours per week.
4. Must have a laptop! (PC and Mac are both acceptable)
5. Reliable transportation
6. Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook), Google docs and Adobe (Photoshop, creating PDFs, etc.)
7. Knowledge of Cision is a big plus, but not required.
8. Research / Internet / Social networking / Blog savvy.
9. Strong phone skills / Confidence calling and pitching to editors (or willingness to learn)
10. Great writing / editing skills and knowledge of AP Style a plus.
11. Ability to take direction well and accurately complete assignments in a timely manner with little supervision.
12. Very organized and detail-oriented….this is a MUST!
13. Creative and out-of-the-box, forward thinking. Bring your ideas to the table!
14. Motivated self-starter / willingness to take initiative without having to be asked.
15. Last but not least, a music lover, great personality and sense of humor!!