Google Journalism Fellowship- Summer 2015
Google is seeking undergraduates and graduates for their Summer 2015 internship program. This program is set to help further develop digital journalism. This will give Fellows the chance to delve into various branches in the Google organization.
Who should apply?
While this is a journalism Fellowship, you do not have to be in a journalism program to apply. We're looking for students who are passionate about reporting and the role that technology can play in the pursuit of this craft. To qualify you must be a US student or a student studying in the US with a relevant visa. Students from all majors and degree programs who possess the following qualities are encouraged to apply:
- Demonstrated or stated commitment to journalism - especially in the fields of data driven journalism or freedom of expression online
- An interest in exploring and creating business models to help the industry in the digital age
- Excellent academic record, professional/extracurricular/volunteer activities, subject matter expertise
- First-rate analytical, communications, research, and writing skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and efficiently, and to work smartly and resourcefully in a fast-paced environment
Fellows will receive a stipend of $8,500 USD for 10 weeks during the summer of 2015 (June-August) and a travel budget of $1,000 USD.
The Fellowship will start on June 8 2015 with time at Google in Mountain View, California on the first week of the program. Fellows will join their host organization on June 15 2015 and finish on August 14 2015.
What is the program timeline?
- January 31, 2015: Student application deadline; applications must be received by midnight Pacific time
- Mid March 2015: Successful applicants are notified of the status of their applications. A notice will be posted on the website shortly after. We are sorry that due to the volume of applicants we can not inform everyone individually.
- June 8, 2015: Students begin fellowship with the first few days at Google in California. At around the same time Google issues initial student stipends and travel budget
- June 15, 2015: Students join their host organization
- July 2015: Mid-term evaluations; Google issues mid-term stipends
- August 2015: Final evaluations
- August 14, 2015: Fellowship ends