Cal State Northridge Journalism Department's Monday Memo
Newsletter for Journalism Majors
Internships, jobs, accomplishments and general announcements
Spring 2015 * Issue No. 5
To submit information to the Monday Memo, please contact Diana Tran, editor, at ext. 3135, email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by MZ 210.The deadline for submission is Noon, Monday.
Rise and Shine CSUN Journalism!
I hope everyone had an amazing weekend. Welcome to the fifth week of class. For all graduating seniors, only 13 weeks left! Don't forget that advisement is a month away, so stop by the journalism office and check out the faculty open office hours. Graduating seniors (Mary 2015) are not required to seek advisement, but it is still highly recommended.
Follow us on twitter and instagram for tentative events: @CSUNjournalism
Scholarship Opportunity - The Sacramento Press Club is proud to announce that we are awarding $34,000 in seven scholarships to students who are preparing for a career in journalism or a closely related field. We hope you encourage all standout students to apply!
The seven scholarships range in value from $4,000 to $8,000. Community college students who are transferring to four-year colleges will get special consideration for the $4,000 Nereida Skelton Journalism Scholarship. Our six other scholarships are offered to college juniors, seniors or graduate students who are focusing on journalism. Details about the scholarships and the application process can be found at http://sacpressclub.org/scholarships/. We are also attaching a flyer that can be printed and posted on bulletin boards.
We know that as tuition costs increase, financial support can be especially crucial for students. We need your help to get the word out in time for this year's application period. Applications must be postmarked no later than March 31st.
They can access the guide at this link: http://sacpressclub.org/scholarships/student-resource-guide/
Scholarship Opportunity - The Lagrant Foundation is awarding a scholarship for undergraduate students. Scholarship winners will receive a trip to Chicago where they will participate in career building activities including a welcome dinner with a keynote speaker, two daylong career and professional development workshops and a scholarship and donor recognition reception.
Undergraduate (current freshman, sophomores, juniors and non-graduating seniors ONLY!) applicants meeting the following criteria and completing the online application will be considered for The LARGANT Foundation (TLF) scholarship in the amount of $2,500.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Must be a member of one of the following ethnic groups: African American/Black, Asian American/Pacific Islander, Hispanic/Latino or Native American/American Indian.
- Must be a full-time student at a four-year, accredited institution in the U.S., carrying a total of 12 unites or more per semester/quarter.
- Must have a minimum of a 2.75 GPA (if you do not meet this requirement, please see the application checklist below)
- MUST major in a field of study that has an emphasis in advertising, marketing or public relations
- Must have AT LEAST ONE YEAR to complete his/her degree from the time the scholarships are awarded in June 2015.
- Recipients MUST be available from June 7 to June 9, 2015.
- Must attend TLF's scholarship activities as noted at top of page.
To apply for this scholarship, please visit www.lagrantfoundation.org