Summer and Fall 2016
Editorial Department Internship
That's My Gig, LLC is seeking an intern for their editorial department. Tasks will include researching interviewees in order to write thoughtful and intriguing interview questions (interviewees include major label side musicians, major label producers, major label musical artists, hit songwriters, and other music industry professionals.)
Intern will also write original content pertaining to finding and keeping work in the music industry, assist with editing, and attend industry events in order to recruit to interview candidates.
At the end of the semester, the intern will have a solid professional portfolio and will also be considered for paid work as a freelance writer/journalist for That's My Gig, LLC.
Visit their editorial page, viewed by 90,000+ unique readers a month, here https://www.thatsmygig.com/advicefromthepros/
- Unpaid: College credit only.
- Hours expected: Minimum 11 hours a week. Prefer 15 hours a week, but open to less if work is very concise and efficient.
Contact: Bri Blaire
Los Angeles Magazine
Unpaid - For credit only
Ever been accused of being obsessive? Los Angeles Magazine wants you! Los Angeles Magazine is looking for detail-oriented, thorough, resourceful, intuitive, and determined self-starter students with excellent communication skills to intern in our editorial department.
Fact-checking, conducting research, and submitting story ideas with the possibility of writing them. Fact-checking is not always as easy as it sounds. You may need to contact the celebrity of the moment or outwit a word-savvy politician.
In researching subjects, you'd work directly with writers and editors in putting stories together (which may include doing some reporting.) You would also learn to use online services, pull court documents or locate hard-to-find sources... within minutes.
Interns will be shown how a magazine is put together from story conception to newsstand.
interns are encouraged to ask questions and explore every aspect of the business, from editorial to advertising, marketing to circulation.
For consideration, please submit your resume, cover letter, and writing samples to Eric Mercado via firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, visit http://www.lamag.com/thejump/were-looking-for-interns/#sthash.4L9bNo1R.dpuf
Asian Journal is looking to hire a writer/reporter and a graphic artist. The newspaper is geared towards the Filipino community, but candidates do not need to be Filipino.
Requirements for reporter as listed on the ad are:
- Must be eligible to work in the US
- Must have prior experience in news and PR writing, and event coverages
- Must be knowledgeable about current news/events in the US and the Philippines, and issues concerning the Filipino-American community
- Working knowledge in photography preferred but not required
Resumes for both positions can be emailed to email@example.com. For graphic artists, a resume and portfolio is requested.
Those interested can browse through the website, www.asianjournalinc.com,for more information about the publication, or pick up a paper at a number of locations, including Seafood City and Island Pacific.
Candidates can also email firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions or concerns.
Student Assistant for University Communications
Department: Marketing and Communications, University Advancement
Description: Paid part-time position, 20 hours/week, available starting for student in writing disciplines with interest and experience in social media creation, news writing, magazine writing and press release development. Position calls for assisting the University Communications staff in content development and copy editing. Applicant must be enrolled full-time in the Fall ‘16 and Spring ’17 semesters, and is eligible work during Summer 2016.
· Support social media for University Advancement, including creating original content for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.
· Cover on-campus events in multiple formats, including social media and writing post-event story
· Adapt CSUN Today or other online content for social media forums as needed
· Contribute ideas to increase social media engagement
· Compile analytics to measure social media engagement, including use of external measurement tools.
· Develop articles to be posted and/or featured on CSUN Today that announce, reflect or highlight campus events and accomplishments, faculty and staff news and student accomplishments
· Contribute content ideas for potential CSUN Today stories, press releases and CSUN Magazinefeatures/featurettes
· Develop marketing-directed content as needed
· Copy edit materials to be posted to all university forums
· Manage content on CSUN’s on-campus signboard
· Various administrative duties
Skills required and developed:
· Strong writing skills in multiple areas, including news, social media, press release and creative writing
· Strong editing skills, including knowledge of AP style and proper grammar
· Strong communication skills, including comfort in conducting interviews
· Fluency in social media programs including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, YikYak and Pinterest.
· Strong research skills with media, including familiarity with the CSUN website
· Familiarity with Microsoft Office – must be fluent with Microsoft Word (Mac edition)
· Basic familiarity with Adobe programs, including Photoshop and InDesign
CSUN students who meet the requirements and would like to apply, please send a resume and cover letter ASAP to email@example.com. Students selected for interviews will also be asked to complete a short writing/editing test.