Cal State Northridge Journalism Department's Monday Memo
Newsletter for Journalism Majors
Internships, job, accomplishments, and general announcements
Spring 2016 * Issue No. 11
All nighters and studying and finals, oh my! The end of spring semester is just around the corner, but before you all can kick back and relax we have finals week coming up May 14 - May 20. Be sure to get a good nights rest and of course be sure to study for your exams. Graduating seniors, we are all so proud of you, you only have two weeks left of no sleep, lots of caffeine, and stress, but hang in there! Freshman, sophomores, and juniors push through these last two weeks, you can do it! For those of you who have not met with an advisor, be sure to do so before the semester ends, as you will need your registration hold to be lifted in order to register for Fall 2016 classes.
Posted by Monday Memo Editor, Tawnya Cervantes at 10:11 AM
CSUN Athletics – The Cape Crew (social media)
Public Relations Internship
Address: Intercollegiate Athletics Office (next to Lot F5 on CSUN campus)
The Cape Crew is a team of CSUN students that provides behind-the-scenes coverage of our athletic teams and events on social media. Using Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and other platforms, The Cape Crew gives fans a transparent look at CSUN Athletics with photos, graphics, interviews and exclusive content. During the week, The Cape Crew develops a social media calendar and focuses on stories surrounding our student-athletes and coaches. On game days, The Cape Crew provides social media coverage of the contest.
Unpaid- For class credit
Approx. hours per week: 20
For more information or to apply for this internship contactKevin Strauss via email,
The Entravision Communications
-Los Angeles Internship Program
The Entravision Communications-Los Angeles Internship Program has hosted nearly (100) interns over the last 6 years. These interns have come from (44) universities in (17) states across the U.S. (24) are currently working in the media industry (Entravision, HULU, NBC, Telemundo, E! Entertainment, Univision, Spanish Broadcasting Systems, ESPN and various ad agencies). To date, (10) have been hired by Entravision.
- A student must be enrolled in a university, college or junior college. There are exceptions for some high school students.
- A student must receive class credit for the internship.
- Internships are available throughout the calendar year
- Internship requires initial interview
- This is an unpaid internship
- Normal internship activity is 12-16 hours per week
- Internship activities involve multiple company departments (Sales, Market Intelligence-Research, Digital Media, Programming, Promotions, Traffic, Production and Marketing).
- Tasks will incorporate use of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel & PowerPoint)
- Research resources will include: Nielson ratings and analytics, RL Polk Automotive data, Simmons Consumer Purchase Survey data & Geoscape market analysis
- Digital Media products will include: Website, Social Media, Mobile Media, Email Marketing, Internet Display Network
If interested, please contact Juan R. Navarro, VPIMS, at (323)900-6308 or via email email@example.com.
Address: 5700 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 250, Los Angeles, CA 90036
Congressman Tony Cárdenas Press Intern
Location: Washington, D.C.
Congressman Tony Cárdenas is seeking a Press Intern in his Washington, D.C. office for a part- or full-time, unpaid summer internship starting as soon as possible until approx. Aug. 26. Press interns will learn many of the basic skills it takes to become a communications professional in a dynamic and exciting environment. They are involved in all core activities of the Communications team and are assigned day-to-day activities to help integrate them into the work.
Candidates should be self-starters and able to exercise good judgment on a wide range of assignments in a fast-paced and busy office. Very strong writing skills with close attention to detail and a good sense of humor are essential.
Main responsibilities will include:
· Social media monitoring
· News monitoring
· Drafting various press materials
· Writing newsletter excerpts
· Researching targeted press lists
· Staffing the Congressman at events and media interviews
· Photo or video editing skills a plus
Candidates with California ties, especially to the San Fernando Valley, and previous internship/work experience are strongly encouraged to apply. Internships are awarded on an equal opportunity basis; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Airfare will need to be provided by the intern.
Please e-mail resume and cover letter with your availability in PDF format to Intern.Resume@mail.house.gov. The subject line should read as follows “Press Intern Application.”
Public Relations Internship
Are you considering a career in public relations or marketing and looking for practical experience or ways to apply your coursework in the real world? Based in Woodland Hills, Productivity PR’s internship program offers college students and recent graduates the opportunity to learn and develop the skills necessary for a successful career in the public relations field. As an intern, you will have the opportunity to gain practical hands-on experience researching and building media lists using Cision, learning to comfortably and proactively pitch reporters, coordinating editorial coverage results, writing press releases and editorial pitch letters, social media marketing for consumer products, brainstorming, planning, etc.
- Must have good communication skills
- Must be comfortable speaking on the phone
- Must be creative
- Must have a genuine interest in public relations
- Recent graduate (with a degree in PR, communications or marketing)
- Current students studying PR, journalism, marketing communications, or communications are preferred
- Unpaid, For credit only
- Roughly 10-20 hours a week
- Only local candidates
If interested, please e-mail your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.